Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permitted. In reference to food, it is the dietary standard, as prescribed in the Qur’an (the Muslim scripture). The opposite of halal is haram, which means unlawful or prohibited. Halal and haram are universal terms that apply to all facets of life. These terms are commonly used in relation to food products, meat products, cosmetics, personal care products, pharmaceuticals, food ingredients, and food contact materials. While many things are clearly halal or haram, there are some things which are not clear. Further information is needed to categorise them as halal or haram. Such items are often referred to as mashbooh, which means doubtful or questionable.
Our Consulting Methodology:
- Understand the targeted area for Halal business operations
- Perform observation on manufacturing plant and related facilities
- Identify gaps in the business operations and whether documents are in compliance with Halal requirements
Deliverable: Gap Analysis Report
Development of Halal Documentation
- Diagnose the existing documentation system of Halal controls
- Documents review (policies, written SOPs, related materials etc.)
- Recommendations on identified analysis findings
- Identify Halal Control Points and develop Internal Halal Control System (IHCS)
- Develop Halal File
Deliverable: Related SOPs, Halal File
- Coach and assist in MyeHalal application system
Deliverable: Submission of Halal application (online)
Halal Readiness Assessment
- Reassessment of Halal business operation, infrastructure and develop Halal documentation
Deliverable: Halal Readiness Report
It could take a minimum of 3 months with the full cooperation and preparedness of the applicants. The other part is waiting for the JAKIM auditors to give a confirmed date for a site audit for the applicant.
The schemes are as follows:
- Food / Beverage / Food Supplement
- Food Premise / Hotel
- Consumer Goods
- Cosmetics and Personal Care
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Medical Devices
The following applications are NOT eligible to apply HALAL:
- Non-halal products
- Companies that produce and distribute halal and non-halal products
- Usage of similar branding for halal and non-halal products
- Product / food premise which gives negative implication towards religion and social (eg. Karaoke centre, entertainment centre, drug, cigarette, hair dye, nail polish and others)
- Natural products which does not involve any processing such as fresh fish, fresh vegetables, fresh egg and the like
- Fertiliser and animal feed
- Products which use the name or synonymous names with non-halal products or confusing terms such as ham, bak kut teh, bacon, beer, rum, hotdog, charsiew and the like
- Local and imported finished products which are re-labeled without undergoing any processes in Malaysia
- Kitchen / food premise / food catering services which prepare haram cuisine as decreed in Shariah law
- Products that can lead to deviation of aqidah, superstition and deception
- Hotel with kitchen that prepares pork based menu.
- For multinational and medium company, you need to appoint 1 Halal Executive and minimum 2 Muslim-workers in the production department.
- For small company, you need to appoint 1 Muslim supervisor and 1 Muslim worker in the production department.
- Consultation fee (based on a case to case basis since each company’s requirements are different)
- JAKIM Halal Certification fee (standard fixed fee charged by JAKIM and can be obtained from JAKIM’s website)
Besides Halal Conversion services, following are the other services:
- Halal Assurance Management System (HAS) Development
- Halal Internal Audit
- Halal Crisis Management
- Advisory for Halal Establishment
- Corporate Advisory
- Halal Due Diligence
- Halal Roadmap and Ecosystem Development
HDC’s Halal Consultancy services carry with it a certain prestige and guarantee since HDC is owned by the Malaysian government. The local market and the international markets recognise Malaysia and HDC as a symbol of excellence in Halal development and marketing.
HDC’s reputation is guaranteed to deliver highest quality Halal Consultancy services with the support of the Malaysian government and Malaysia’s Halal eco-system. HDC’s extensive knowledge and experience in Halal development provides the markets with unrivalled and quality assured consultancy services. Businesses, organisations and governments will be guided by the best to prosper and grow in the Halal industry.
Businesses, organisations and governments will be able to tap the Halal opportunities and cater to the growing demands for Halal products and services in the local and global Halal markets